ereksonj

ereksonj

The American Heritage Children's Dictionary - Editors of the American Heritage Dictionaries When I was young I learned to be disappointed by children's dictionaries and encyclopedias. They are usually condescending in content and tone. For example, one of the key facts of English is the multi-faceted definition. This book only allows 2. I liked the fact that it includes 13000 words, but I don't know how the selections were made be cause there are no editorial notes about process anywhere on or in the book. Oh, the back cover does tell me there are 1500 photos and color illustrations, but nothing about what they decided to in/exclude by policy. Part of the charm of a dictionary is the odd words you encounter on the way to the one you are looking up, and really that is the main value of a print dictionary at all today--it has to offer better or more experience than looking up a word online. This kind of book is rapidly becoming dated, especially since it pares out so many of the words in a regular dictionary. Wasn't a fan before, even less now.