ereksonj

ereksonj

It Jes' Happened: When Bill Traylor Started to Draw - Don Tate, R. Gregory Christie This book joins others in an effort to lend depth and breadth to the African American biography selection. Biography of vital yet less mythical figures is an important movement in historical fiction. Traylor's outsider art is an obvious inspiration for Christie's folk art style. Christie avoids mimicking Traylor until he starts to draw the story of Traylor drawing.

Interesting peritextual detail: The author's note, sources, and quotation sources are at the beginning of the book, but still with a full-page afterword at the end.

As with A Boy Called Dickens, this biography almost depends on a reader's existing knowledge and appreciation of Traylor's work. Its magical quality doesn't jump out at me from these pages the way it does from the originals. I would suggest looking at a lot of his drawings before looking at this biography. Nancy and I have looked at a lot of outsider art, and even had a subscription to Raw Vision (one of Tate's sources) for a while in the 90s.